Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence

Intimate Partner Violence in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) Relationships

Information for Victims:  Orders of Protection

If your partner is arrested…
You can also get an Order of Protection without your partner being arrested.

You can apply for a civil Order of Protection in Family Court.

You might want to consider going this route if:

There are other potential benefits to going through Family Court.

NOTE:  You can use both the criminal courts and the Family Court at the same time. 
Whether you personally are eligible to use Family Court is up to the judge to decide – do not let anyone else tell you you’re not eligible.  If you are not sure you’re eligible, go ahead and petition for an order of protection anyway.   Most judges and court clerks are aware of the 2008 change in the law that gives LGBTQ victims of intimate partner violence access to Family Court, but you might want to ask your local domestic violence program to help you file the petition.

Next:  Domestic Violence Programs and LGBTQ Victims 

Back to Intimate Partner Violence in LGBTQ Relationships homepage