Public Health & Welfare
Nearly 4,000 women were treated in NYC emergency departments for injuries they acknowledged were due to intimate partner violence. (DOHMH 2005)
- The number of applicants for public assistance who indicated danger due to domestic violence was 14,836. (OTDA)
- Family Violence Option waivers were granted to 8,578 applicants under the Temporary Assistance Program. (OTDA)
- Statewide there are over 100 Domestic Violence Liaisons (DVLs). Nearly 600 DVLs and other public assistance workers were trained on domestic violence. (OPDV, OTDA)
- National studies indicate that nearly 25% of welfare clients had experienced threats or physical violence from a partner within the past year, and that 15% had experienced severe physical violence.
Domestic Violence Services
- Domestic violence victims received services at 285 programs ranging from general crime victims programs to certified domestic violence programs. Services included crime victim assistance, information, referral, counseling, advocacy, and community education and outreach services. (DCJS, OCFS, OVS)
- Direct financial assistance was provided to domestic violence crime victims for over 1,200 claims and to sexual assault crime victims for over 450 claims amounting to over 2.5 million dollars. (OVS)
- NYS’ two Domestic and Sexual Violence Hotlines and NYC’s Domestic Violence hotline received 140,546 calls combined. The 96 local domestic violence hotlines annually receive approximately 160,000 calls. (OCFS, OPDV, NYCOCDV)
Domestic Violence Shelter Services
- There are 159 certified shelter programs in the state with a total capacity of 2,907 beds, 10 transitional housing programs with 541 beds, and 5 safe home networks with 36 safe homes. (OCFS)
- Certified shelter providers in New York State housed 7,282 adults and 8,721 children. (OCFS)
- Nearly 1,700 child welfare workers were trained on the overlap of domestic violence and child abuse and maltreatment. (OPDV, ACS)
- National studies indicate a link between child maltreatment and intimate partner violence, finding a 30-60% overlap, depending on the families studied.
- More than half of the people served in shelters were children. (OCFS)
- National studies indicate 59% of households with children under the age of 12 experience intimate partner violence.
- National studies indicate that children exposed to intimate partner violence
are more likely than other children to have difficulty in relationships with
others and poor school performance.
The following chart entitled "OCFS Certified Residential & Transitional Housing Programs Served" indicates between 7,000 and 7,500 adults and between 8,500 and 9,000 children were housed.
- Since 1999, physical dating violence reported by public high school females in NYC has risen almost 50%. (DOHMH 2005)
- NYC public high school females reporting physical dating violence were three times more likely to attempt suicide than those who did not report physical dating violence. (DOHMH 2005)