Information for Brain
Injury Service Providers
Strategies for TBI Service Providers
- Listen and validate her feelings.
- Remind her that it’s not her
- Take confidentiality very seriously, for
- Do nothing to endanger her.
- Explore her options.
- Help her understand how the police and courts can
- Help her mobilize her support
- Be willing to advocate for her.
- Support her right to self-determination
– to make her own decisions as far as possible – even
if independence is not a realistic possibility for her. As much
as possible, follow her lead as far as what kind of help she
wants. Don’t try to take control or tell her what to
- Don’t focus on just getting
her to leave her partner. This is important for her