- Has the couple separated or divorced?
- How recently?
- If separation has occurred within the past 2 months, be particularly aware of the risk of him killing her.
- How has he reacted to the separation?
- Is she planning to leave?
- Is there an Order of Protection?
- How has he reacted to the OP? Has he obeyed it?
- Is he obsessed with her?
- Is he depressed?
- Is he stalking her?
- Does he idolize or idealize her?
- Does he see her as central to his life?
- Does he feel he owns her?
- Can he let her go?
- Do others know about the violence?
- Does her partner keep her captive or restrict her contacts with others?
- Does he deprive her of means of transportation or communication?
- Has he threatened to kill her, the children, other people or pets?
- Has he threatened suicide?
- Batterers who kill themselves often kill their partners and/or children as well.
- Is partner’s physical violence getting more frequent or severe?
- Has client been severely injured?
- Has she required medical care?
- Has there been frequent & severe sexual assault?
- Does he often get high, go on binges, or use illegal drugs?
- Does he force her to use drugs or alcohol?
- Does he engage in other risky behavior without regard for consequences, such as dangerous driving?
- Does he have access to guns?
- Has he used weapons to threaten or harm her or other people in the past?
- Are there other circumstances in her life which can make her more vulnerable & decrease her options?