Mission and Guiding Principles
The mission of the NYS Domestic Violence Fatality Review Team is to conduct detailed reviews of domestic violence deaths and near-deaths in a multidisciplinary, confidential and culturally sensitive manner, using the information learned to develop comprehensive recommendations for improved system response to domestic violence with the goal of enhancing safety for victims and accountability for offenders. The objectives of the team are to:
- Identify systematic gaps and barriers to service;
- Promote greater coordinated community responses to domestic violence; and
- Increase community awareness through educating the public, service providers, and policymakers about domestic violence fatalities and strategies for intervention and prevention.
- We handle cases with sensitivity and compassion, working in honor of the victims and their survivors.
- We prioritize confidentiality.
- We do not place blame on individuals or agencies; we remain non-judgmental.
- We treat each other, and the work, with respect.
- We maintain an environment where all voices are heard and open communication is encouraged.