How OPDV Can Help
Review Checklist: Further On-Scene Investigation: General
Checklist for Interviewing
- Interview the victim and/or any witnesses (including all child witnesses),
preferably alone and out of the suspects hearing.
- Ask about previous domestic incidents.
- Ask about frequency and severity of previous incidents.
- Take down names, addresses and other relevant information.
- Determine whether the victim and/or any witnesses allege facts that constitute
all of the elements of assault or battery.
- Inquire whether the victim and/or any witnesses are willing to sign a statement
containing those facts.
- Inquire about past abuse or other crimes to aid in evaluating the accused’s
- Interview children in a manner appropriate to the child’s age.
- Document signs of trauma and any apparent wounds on the child.
- Proceed with the investigation even in the absence of a statement from
either a victim and/or any witnesses.