How OPDV Can Help
Review Checklist: Domestic Incident Follow-Up Investigation
- Include all information from checklist.
- Note names of all officers at scene & roles they played.
Attach all photos, medical reports, other written reports &
- Note need for follow-up investigation.
- Verify inclusion of checklist contents.
- Review reports for patrol office’s requested follow-up
- Secure and copy 911 tapes and dispatch radio traffic.
- Photograph victim’s injuries 24-72 hours after assault
regardless if taken by the reporting officer or not.
- Determine whether processing was completed for all physical
evidence seized at the scene.
- Obtain statements from medical staff.
- (Re)interview witnesses.
- (Re)interview medical personnel.
- Contact victim and witnesses about criminal court process and
victim rights notification and reparation.
- Make copies of all complaints and incident reports regarding
prior police calls to this location or involving same
- Obtain records from police department regarding prior arrests
and convictions for domestic assault/battery and related