How OPDV Can Help
Review Checklist: On-Scene
Investigation and Immediate Follow-up
- Determine location & condition of victim.
- Determine if suspect is at the scene.
- Determine location of and secure weapons used or available.
- Determine if Order of Protection is in effect.
- Distinguish aggressor from victim, especially if both are injured.
- Administer first aid or summon ambulance as needed.
- Determine the location of potential witnesses: complainant, neighbors,
- Record any spontaneous statements by the victim.
- Observe for signs of injury to the victim.
- Record physical condition of victim; pulled hair, torn clothing,
smeared makeup, other injuries.
- Record emotional condition of the victim.
- Determine relationship of victim to suspect.
- Interview victim, separately from suspect, regarding the incident.
- Interview victim regarding prior history of abuse.
- Offer to transport victim to shelter or to obtain medical care.
- Offer to transport victim to local court to obtain Order of Protection.
- If declined, obtain a waiver from victim.
- Record any spontaneous statements by suspect.
- Record any suspect statements regarding justification for the
- Observe any signs of suspect injury.
- Record physical condition of suspect: abraded hands, clothing,
- Record emotional condition of suspect.
- Record any signs of substance/chemical use.
- Interview suspect regarding incident & factors leading to
- Interview reporting party.
- Identify names & ages of children present.
- Identify & interview all witnesses separately.
- Record names & addresses of all emergency medical personnel & doctors
or nurses as applicable.
- Photograph victim injuries & clothing; Size
all clothing with evidentiary value.
- Photograph crime scene; disconnected phone, overturned furniture,
holes in walls
- Photograph suspect & any injuries. Obtain medical reports & photographs
- Impound all weapons used & other weapons present.